Friday, August 21, 2009

Beware of laptop stealing from car

Hi,
This is to bring to your notice that driving car with laptop in
front or back seat is not safe any more in Bangalore, especially if
you plan to get down for small shopping of fruits /vegitables etc. I
had experience this yesterday near Marathahalli junction( opposite to
Safal) at 5:45PM . Please take a minute to read this and accordingly
take preventive measures.

I had kept my laptop in the front left seat of the car and
stopped near Marathahalli junction to buy some fruits. There were 2
folks who came to help me parking the vehicle as is usually the case
at that place. Then they asked me to shift the vehicle little bit so
as to avoid some inconvenience to other vehicles on the way. I had no
idea at that time that my car was being monitored minutely during that
time. I parked and locked my car and went out to buy some fruits from
nearby roadside "Thela" shops and came back . Then started back
towards kundanahalli gate. After driving around 15-20 meters, I saw
some one suddenly came in my way and I had to apply brakes and
immediately another person came to the driver side gate and started
knocking the door glass with lot of force. His expressions were such
that either I had hit someone or I was about to hit someone . I
decided to stop the car. As soon as I stopped the engine, all the
doors of the cars opened ( Autocop feature) and the moment I came out
of the car, this person started showing me some money near the right
tyre(back side) of the car saying that this was mine. My initial
reaction was to turn down and by the time I touched 1 -10Rs note, I
realized (may be within 5-10 sec) that this couldn't be mine as I have
already driven 15-20m and immediately I turned around to check my
laptop which was already missing by that time from the other door of
the car. I again turned around to see this person who knocked the door
and couldn't find him either. I then saw 2 person wearing exactly same
type of dress running in 2 opposite directions(with none of them
having laptop!!) and some one shouting that the thief ran towards the
bridge side( the same direction one of them was running). Without
thinking much I locked the car and moved to the bridge side and found
that this person stopped peacefully after running for 50-75m with
nothing in his hands. I again turned back and found nothing on the
other side also!!!!.
The story does not end here. After this some one came to
me and said that you have parked your car in no parking area , so
please park in proper place and call Marathahalli traffic signal
policeman for help. I found his adivice useful and parked the car in
the corner nearby ( was bit surprised though by seeing a good parking
immediately) . Then I started calling 100 while walking to approach
Marathahalli traffic police( what a blunder- traffic police will never
help in criminal cases). Thanks to an old person aged (55-60 yrs) who
stopped me and said that someone was tempering with my car door. I
immediately ran and somehow managed to reach before someone could
break into the car. The person as expected again ran away before I
reached. Then I found car was ok except few minor dashes here and
there due to car breaking attempt. After that I drove back and
parked the car more near to the junction and went to traffic police
who directly asked me to call 100 which I was any way continuously
trying since I found laptop bag was missing.

I have informed this incident to the police, however I am
still trying to get FIR registered for the case. Police told that
this is some 7th laptop stealing case in last 2-3 weeks. There are
other similar stories as per police in other parts of the city "like
some one on bike came and hit the car and started arguing and in the
mean time some other person took away the laptop" etc etc.

Any ways -

The moral of the story - "Please avoid carrying laptop in the car seat"

No comments:

Post a Comment